Thursday, May 12, 2011

I Take It Back! Success!

Apparently, complaining works on non-breeding geckos! I decided to try something new - introducing the female to the male's cage (usually I do it the other way around) and doing it in the dark, after they've been awake several hours (the lights had been off about 2 1/2 hours).

First, I grabbed Perdi and stuck her in Pongo's cage. He got literally one sniff and he went nuts - biting his vine, my hand (twice - ouch!) and finally Perdi, when I got her situated in front of him (thankfully he was in an easily accessible place). Probably took all of five minutes and it was over. He's already got his hemipenes back where they belong and nobody is worse for the wear. Poor Perdi had to be bred with her leg in his mouth instead of her neck, but hey he's new at this and it worked! She has yet to lay any eggs for me since I've owned her, so we'll see what happens now.

Then I got Liebchen and put her in front of Inigo in his cage. He grabbed her neck immediately and they started wandering around like that. Of course I'm trying to carefully remove the log the caused the problem yesterday while this is going on, without disturbing them. But I was successful and so were they! Inigo is a very long, big gecko, and Liebchen is petite and tailless, so it was a challenge for him to get situated right. After they were done and I removed her from the cage, Inigo got very aggressive and was lunging and gaping at me as I misted him... weirdo! Maybe he was mad he didn't get to cuddle afterwards. ;) He still hasn't retracted his hemipenes, so I'm keeping an eye on that at the moment. He's not even licking it yet, he seems to be in a weird trance. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, he's got a strange disposition to begin with! But he better take care of things, there aren't good herp vets around here.

I'll breed Panic to Inigo in a week or so, hopefully I can keep track of who is laying what that way (they live together and both have been laying duds). I also weighed them so if I find eggs and don't know who laid, I can weigh them and hopefully give it my best guess based on weight loss!

Anyway, I'm a little worried about Inigo, but otherwise super excited! Hopefully dalmation babies are now in my future, and creamy lavenders! :D

And now that I've finished writing this, I just went and checked and Inigo's got everything neatly tucked back where it belongs. Huzzah! Two easy, successful breedings in 10 minutes! There's got to be some benefits to being a night owl... this is one of them I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment