Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Perdi" Frustrating!

Perdi is officially driving me nuts. Seriously. I know she's a total newbie to all of this egg business since she's never laid, but COME ON! Animals lay/give birth to their first offspring every day! In fact, I was just with a close friend when had her first baby - she'd never had one before, never seen one born, but she knew what to do! Sheesh.

For the past 3 or 4 days (I've lost track) Perdi has not left the nest box area. She's either in it or on it. When this first began a few nights ago, when I was misting I saw her with just her back feet and tail sticking out of the box, and the next day she was laying on the top of the box. I thought maybe she was guarding her newly-laid eggs. Not to be! She was back in the box later that night. Tonight she's completely buried except for just her head (which is still in the box, just not under any moss). I'm really hoping she's laying as we speak. She hasn't touched her food the last two feedings which is definitely unusual for her.

Because she's taking so long, I worry a bit about egg-binding or her having trouble laying for some other reason, I'll see how things look tomorrow. Pray for two beautiful eggs and this will all seem to have been a very frustrating dream! :) I don't want to have to find a reptile vet who can actually help me out around here. My area, despite being the largest city in Kansas, is severely lacking in herp vets who are even remotely worth their salt. I've been to two, and one of them had never even seen a crested gecko! Um HELLO this is probably THE most popular lizard in the hobby, only perhaps a close second to the leopard gecko. Sheesh.

Pray, cross your fingers, send positive thoughts, do what you do for Perdi please! I'm getting concerned, and beyond impatient. But at this point her health is what's most important to me and I just want her to get those eggs out, even if they're ugly slugs.

You can do it Perdi! Just PUSH! (Hehe... I was saying to my friend just recently!) Maybe Perdi needs an epidural too... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment