Friday, June 10, 2011

Panic! EGG!

No don't panic, the eggs are ok! BUT, Panic the gecko DID finally lay a set of eggs. :D It seems like I've been waiting forever for her to drop them, though really it's only been slightly over two weeks since she was with Inigo. So I was not surprised to find that one looks to be a dud. Or should I say feels - as soon as I touched it I was pretty sure it was infertile. Infertile eggs are not very solid, they're often dented, and sometimes strangely calcified. This one was very "squishy" (as in not holding it's "egg shape"), and it was somewhat difficult to clean off, even though all I use is long stranded sphagnum moss in my lay boxes. I also candled it and only saw yellow (no cheerio) - I've put it in the "weird egg" incubator just in case but I highly doubt it will do anything but mold over soon.

HOWEVER, the other egg had a definite cheerio, is nicely calcified, and I have high hopes for it. :) It looks to be a fertile myrtle, and I would imagine her eggs from now on will be. I'm just super excited to have an egg from this pair, even if it is the only one I get!

Perdi should lay any day now... she is digging in her box every night and she's not eating (which is often the case with gravid females about to lay). I wish she'd just get it over with, I *really* want to have some dalmation babies this year. It's been almost a month since she was with Pongo so I'm expecting them any day. Then again, she's never laid before so she may hold out on me yet. I feel she'd do it just to spite me - she has that kind of personality. :-P

The other eggs from Liebchen are developing nicely! I've been a bit worried about them because the temperatures here are record-breaking hot, and my gecko room gets all southern exposure. It can get very hot, but I am certainly doing all I can to prevent that including cold wet towels over fans, etc. When I try to look at it objectively I realize that several degrees in temperature shouldn't affect them too much - I figure they go through similar changes in the wild. Fingers crossed in any case, I'm slightly paranoid - especially since some of these babies are already spoken for!

No comments:

Post a Comment